If you ever feel the pain located in your mouth, jaw, throat this might be the moment where you should contact your dental physiotherapist. If you think that these are rare symptoms you are wrong. Novadays about 35% of population suffer from TMD (temporomandibular dysfunction). Jaw pain, mouth muscle pain, chewing problems, headache, stiffness in the area, muscle disorders… This is what dental physiotherapy in Krakowska Fabryka Zdrowia is responsible for.
What is dental physiotherapy?
Dental physiotherapy or TMJ physiotherapy is a branch of musculoskeletal therapy. The construction of our jaw is quite specific and it’s disorders can cause many pain. First of all let us explain you how the TMJ is structued.
The TMJ is a complex joint built of the disc and two bones. This complex needs to function correctly on the both sides of the jaw to be able to open without any disfunction. The first phase of the opening is when he mandible turn inside of the joint. The next movement is called “translational phase” where the mandible and disc glide forward on the temporalis bone. This process when everything works fine allows us full opening.
- Pain in the jaw ( near location of the TMJ joint)
- Headache and dizziness
- Problems with opening and closing your mouth
- Clicking, poping
- Locking your mouth while open position
- Ear pain, ringing and even losing of ability to hear
- Pain while talking or chewing
- Pain in the neck and shoulder
- First of all we will take care of pain relief.
- Reduce stiffness
- Provide manual therapy specialized with dental therapy
- Provide procedures which will restore mobility and normal function of the joint
- Secure the area for the future.
Remember that sudden pain in the jaw can be an information from your nervous system that there are some disfunctions in the area.
While dental therapy your dentist can suggest to take care of TMJ.
If you have jaw pain and would like an assessment with one of our Physiotherapists please call our physiotherapy center or contact us using e-mail address.